Tuesday, July 8, 2008

We were at a wedding shower...

...in Los Angeles having a great time when one of the six bridesmaid's announced her big day would be 8/8/08. 

"I love the idea of 8-8-8," she bubbled and cooed, reaching her long arms around me and bumping my forehead like we were making a toast. "I wasn't sure about this until today, and now it is just so clear to me," she added in that whirlwind way that spirals upward in its own vacuum and tunnel.

Her mother quietly beamed at her, then at me. The paucity of words made her glow that much more meaningful. This woman had lost her husband of nearly 3 decades only a year earlier following a protracted illness. She, herself, was ill although no one spoke about it. 

"I'm really happy, I think," the mother said after awhile. "I love where we live now. The sky is full of stars after dark, there are distinct seasons, it's really beautiful." She paused. Her breath so soft that nothing moved.  "It's good to start over, I've changed my name." 

A group hug and round of picture-taking shifted the mood back to party mode. The room rocked, more like bounced, with girlish giggling, oohs and aahs, and a familial competitive spirit as one game followed the other, winners announced and applauded, followed by short silly speeches. More giggling.

Strapless afternoon dresses swirled and long straight hair hung thick and groomed over straight bare shoulder, while these friends tried to remember what had been so important way back when they were in high school, even in grade school.

"The pomegranate tree, the pomegranate tree," someone shouted. 

"Do you remember the pomegranate tree in the school yard?" asked my dearest young friend who had just announced her wedding day. 

I shook my head. I really didn't.

"I do," her mother said. 

And that, I thought to myself, is what today is all about. 

"I do." 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very poignant. Life's lessons.

You do. Have a way with words.

Carma
http://carmaswindow.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

Wow! That was a real lesson in life...so sweetly expressed.

Take care,
Judy
http://www.localfoodconnections.com

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

This was beautiful, very touching...

The new color and layout on your blog are great. I love the new look.

Lisa Kirby
www.familyfunandfood.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very nice Lisa. I loved the description "strapless afternoon dresses swirled..."

Theresa
Stress-FreeParent.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

8-8-8 -- not much time to plan the event. But then, all the pomp, the decorations and other things we associate with a wedding really pale in comparison to the real meaning that I thnk gets lost in all that junk -- "I do."

"The In-Laws" was a fun movie in a way. But my favorite part was the wedding at the end. That bride got her wish for a simple ceremony. Wasn't the wish coming true, but the spoken words that make it do great.

"I do."

THANKS!