Sunday, December 14, 2008

Hearts and Houses for Sale

Selene is a real estate agent in the South Bay area of Los Angeles county. She's worked hard to build her business, and in spite of the current financial collapse, she goes door-knocking, cold calling, and keeps her focus on the forward track. Her professionalism is evident in her appearance and demeanor. 

Almost every morning she's at her desk with the computer on by 8:30. Probably has at least one call out of the way already, and a couple of on-going property sales notched up a level. If she had a motto, and maybe she does, it could rightfully be, "list with Selene, your house will sell" and that would be an understatement.

At team meetings, she's one of the first to stand up, introduce herself and ask questions or offer solutions. "Hello," she will say. "I'm Selene...

"...single and available," her boss adds before she can say another word. "Listen up, men, you can learn from this woman. And, she is single."

Selene blushes, stands taller and continues. She knows her male colleagues look at her and she gives them a nice picture to view. What she has to say counts, but just not quite as much as the view, and that gives her an edge which translates to dollars. 

That edge also keeps men safely at arm's length. "I have to set boundaries," she says. "I have to know that I'm getting what I want. I do it with my work. I have to do it with my life."

As she sits at a Sunday afternoon Open House, knowing she will probably sell it to a particular couple who are soon to arrive, she ponders her life situation.

I like men. Men like me. I'm great at my career. My career is great for me. So, why am I still single? I work well with men. We have fun together. The sex is, often, terrific. I sure do my part. Men get so sensitive. They can be such big babies.  I say what I mean, and they take it the wrong way. 

Somebody should give men a primer.
 
#1. Learn how to be a good kisser.
#2. Easy sex equals stupid. 
#3. Dating is fun. 
#4. Dating if you have a wife or girlfriend is stupid.
#5. Dinner is nice, but so is hiking.
#6. Not talking is stupid. Not listening is stupider.
#7. Bathe, wash your hair, and keep your nails clean.
#8. Doing that only for work is stupid.
#9. Laugh with a woman. 
#10. Sticking your tongue down her throat is not the same thing.

A knock on the open door snaps her back on the job. A tall, dark and handsome man walks into the room. Her heart flutters, then it sinks. It isn't the couple who wanted to look through the house once more before submitting a bid. Selene checks her cell. No calls. They're over a half hour late. 

2 comments:

Suzanne Lieurance said...

Hey, Lisa,

Okay....I wanna know more about this guy. Does he buy the house? What does he want? I hope this story will be continued.

Suzanne
The Working Writer's Coach
http://www.workingwriterscoach.com

Unknown said...

what an excellent post. It was well written and sounds exciting. A lot of thanks for sharing.


makati condo