Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hearts and Houses for Sale: Shoe In?

It was well after morning rush hour. Oddly, the fog was rolling in, thick around the house. Selene wanted to get on the road to her office in Palos Verdes, but her blackberry was nowhere to be found. She called herself from the land line in the kitchen. It rang several times, but she couldn't hear it in the house.

"Hello. How do you feel today?" a male voice asked from the other end of her call. "I wondered how long it would be until you gave me a call." An elevator door closed in the background. "I assume you had a good night's sleep." He spoke louder. "Selene. Do drugs always make you want to be alone?" The elevator door opened.

"Henry?" she said. "Is this Henry Powell?"  

"You remember me. I'm flattered," he said, walking as he talked. Voices overlapped behind him. "Call me, Hopi, if we're going to be friends."

"Why do you have my phone?" Selene asked.  

"You left it in my car," he said from a quiet place. "You left your suit jacket, pantyhose and shoes as well." A beeper went off.

"Oh no!" Selene said. "My car! It's still over there. At that house.  I need my blackberry. I need my car."

"Whoa, Nelly," he said. "I have an hour, I'll take you to get your car. Can you drive? Hold on a minute. "

Selene's head throbbed so much she closed her eyes.  Who was he talking to? "I have to get to the office for an offer. " The fog was thick around the house, inside the house already. "How soon can you be here?"

Before he could answer, Selene passed out, dropping the phone. 

And that's the truth. To some extent.

to be continued...

3 comments:

Carma Dutra said...

I'm laughing. How embarrassing. Selene seems to have a problem with her memory.

Carma

The Real Cat Woman said...

I'm enjoying this story and look forward to each little chapter. Everything is falling into place so naturally. Selene's vulnerability is touching to me. She has this professional, independent facade but her soft side shows through in many subtle ways. What happens next?!

Judy said...

Perfect - I like the way Selene is shown as a strong and independent kind of gal, but really is just so fragile on the interior.

The story keeps getting stronger.... can't wait for more.