Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hearts and Houses for Sale: The Luck of the Blarney Stone?

In January the sun casts a pink-grey-orange glow across the Los Angeles Harbor by 4 PM. That glow created a yellow cast to the ripped Shantung silk along the edge of Selene's suit skirt.  

"It can be repaired. The tear is right on the seam," Selene said, as she allowed herself to be lifted from the floor by a large square-shaped hand laced with pale blue veins that ran like rivers from wrist to knuckle. "My heel caught in the carpet," She said.

In a tone as clear as a classic Irish tenor, the blue-eyed elderly gentleman chided her. "Wasn't your fault, woman. Me boys bollixed their grand entrance." His smile furthered the creases that ran from the corner of his eyes down his face. "Can you stand?"

"Yes. I'm fine," Selene replied crisply, punctuating the word, yes, as she steadied herself, unbuttoned her jacket, straightened her blouse, and smoothed the front of her skirt. "I'm fine. Surprised, but fine." She cleared her throat. "Would you like to see the house?"

"We're waiting for the rascals' mother," the gentleman said.  "Now put your hand up so it don't bruise."

Selene looked at her left hand. The ring finger and the pinky finger were clearly swelling. "Oh, they do hurt," she said.

"I'm really sorry I knocked you over," the boy in the yellow shirt said. "I wanted to go into the treehouse."

"It is pretty cool," Selene said, as she held her arm straight up above her head. "I feel like the Statue of Liberty." Tears were going to well up any minute now. Hang on, hang on, hang on, she said to herself. "How about seeing it another time?"

Henry Powell spoke up. "Perhaps, I should take you to the emergency room unless you have a torch to hold."

"Louise, if you want the house, you better get in here," the gentleman shouted out the door. "She's going to close up shop." 

A shock of black hair, brilliant green eyes, and freckles from here to the Blarney Stone, Louise landed in the doorway. "I want the house. I want the house. I've wanted it for years. Sorry I'm so late," she said breathlessly. "Those steps are steep." Pause. Silence. She looked at the boys.

The one in the yellow shirt and the one in the blue shirt stared at the floor.

"Am I going to be sued?" she asked.

And that's the truth. To some extent.

to be continued...