Friday, February 13, 2009

Hearts and Houses for Sale: On a Clear Day...

Hello! Selene here. Click to listen to ME tell you what's been happening lately, or read about it yourself, below:


I need a break. Life cannot be all about work. Or all about Hopi, Henry Olden Powell, III. I still want to know about Powell number 1, and Powell number 2. I wonder if I can ask him? He hasn't offered any information. Anyway, he's off the radar for today. No man, no work, no money, no maybe's.
I met my sister, Tina, at yoga class first thing this morning. I really have to get there more often. It's just a matter of prioritizing time, for myself. Yoga in the morning and the whole day goes better.
Afterward, we just drove the old highway along the water and walked around the Trump Golf Course. It was so green since we've recently had rain, and the water was so beautifully blue and clear. I could see for miles. What was that song, "On a clear day, you can see forever..." I better not sing...You know, winter in Southern California is a definite season, just not a ragged one where you're always cold. I've been to the mountains. I've never lived in the cold, but that's what I hear.
Tina and I walked for awhile, probably a half hour or more in silence. Then a golf ball hit the wall of the public bathroom up ahead and it was startling. Where were the golfers? I couldn't see anybody. Tina turned around and around in a circle trying to see where the people might be. Nobody.
It was so beautiful just looking around. I mean, of course, there had to be somebody, since the golf ball came from somebody somewhere.
"I think I'm going to get my hair cut, chin length," I said to Tina. "What do you think?"
"Sure, why not. You'll hate it, like you did last time, and wait for it to grow out, but, that's what you always do." She tells me the truth, even when I don't want to hear it.
"I need a change, Tina." I stood still and took in the warmth from the sun. It felt so good, so peaceful. "My life is difficult," I told her. "I don't have any money. I think I'm getting a new listing, but I'm not sure, it's going to take at least two weeks to get it ready to show, and 'the house on the hill' still hasn't closed yet." I was rambling.
I shut up and looked over at her. It was her turn to say something and make me feel better. She wasn't looking at me.
"Hey, look at that dog," she said. She had shaded her eyes with her hands. "Look up there. On the side of the hill. That dog."
"I see him," I said. "He's waving at us."
"Yeah, he's waving at us," Tina said. "He's happy to see us. Let's wave back."
So we did.
"Whose he with? I don't see anybody around," I said.
Tina said. "I think he just wants to say 'hello' and be friendly."
"I should forget about my hair. It's is just an excuse to do something, be distracted." I shaded my eyes with both hands. "I don't need a hair cut, or a facial or a manicure -- well, I do, but I can't afford any of it right now--."
"I think he's the welcoming committee for the golf course," Tina said.
He kept waving at us. We kept waving back at him, or her. Couldn't tell from the distance.
"I wonder who he belongs to?" I asked.
"He shouldn't be out here all alone," Tina said. "But, then I guess, we are."
So, we stood there on the walking path, in the sunshine at the golf course near the ocean. He sat there on the grassy hill across the road, above us for awhile. Then he got up and trotted away until we couldn't see him anymore.
Later, when we were in the car, Tina asked if I thought he was a coyote.
"No. I think he was a collie," I said. "Somebody's dog who knew how to wave hello, or maybe 'goodbye', I don't know which."
We went back to Tina's and had grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup.
And that's the truth. To some extent.
to be continued...

1 comment:

Cynde L. Hammond said...

Lisa,
You make me smile. Hey...can you see me waving? :o)
You're a doll!

Sincerely,
Cynde