Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hearts and Houses for Sale: Ooooohhh

"So, let me get this straight. No matter how much they put down on the house, you'll offer a loan at 4% for the balance of the loan. No strings attached."

I'm picking at my pad thai, getting it onto the chop sticks just right so it doesn't fall into my lap. Aaaah, got it. So good. "Is there anything else I need to know about this?"

"Just tell me something that will make me happy," Hopi says. "Like, how they'll rebuild the tree house and plant daffodils out front that will bloom in the early spring." 

I can't help but laugh. "Corny, but okay. When they rebuild the tree house, I'll suggest they put in a second level."

"I want more than that. I'm serious. If those boys are going to sleep up there at night, then they should have proper reading light, not flashlights. I don't want to be responsible for their bad eyesight later in life." 

We're at a table for two in a back corner. Thick blinds cover the windows so it is dark in here even though it is not outside. A little tea light burns in a plastic lily pad that floats in a bowl of water. Lots of atmosphere, for a late lunch.

"Well, I don't think they'll have any problem with that, especially the terms, but what if, for some reason they decide to put a viewing area on the roof instead of rebuilding the treehouse?" I'm fascinated by his generosity and warmth.  This is another side of a man who seems to have many sides, or reinvents himself more often than Madonna. 

He offers me some of his rice. It's perfectly clumped on the chopsticks. "As long as they're playing up there and not falling off. A space ship to the stars could be launched from that rooftop, it is so flat." He flattens his hand and flies it off the table and into the air.

"Why are you doing this? I have to know." He's really funny! Who knew? My head ache is gone. I'm his real estate agent, and now I'm making the sale for the Broom family also.  All in a week's time, seemingly out of thin air. "What's really going on here?" I ask. It isn't what it seems. I just know somehow. 

"I want that family to be happy in my house," he says. "I want to be able to drive by and see it from the street. For my mother, too, she never got to see her grandchildren play."

"That's very nice," I answer. "But, you listed the house under your corporation, then blurted out the truth when we were naked and now you're giving them the house as though they were long lost family.

Hopi sat back in his chair and toyed with his napkin. "I haven't been truthful with you, Selene. Yes, I've been divorced, but I'm married. My wife lives in  Sao Paulo, as do I most of the time. I have two teenagers, an Australian Sheepdog, and I'm here from time to time developing a new surgical robot."

Funny, but I wasn't angry. At least not at the moment. I was speechless, however. A bowling ball hit the floor in the bowling alley next door then rolled and crashed into the pins, probably all of them by the sounds of things.

"Oh," I said. And I could imagine the look on my face--two little eyes wide open, and one mouth round and emitting the sound, 'oooooh'-- pretty much matching the 3-hole openings in that bowling ball.   

And that's the truth. To some extent.

to be continued

2 comments:

Judy said...

Holy cow - Lisa - was not expecting that AT all....

Hmm.... how will she take all of this especially given the fact she still has her Craiglist's date.

You keep me reading, but isn't that the intent :-)

Take care,
Judy

Carma Dutra said...

Ditto. My mouth dropped with hers. Hopi is such a rat.

Carma
http://carmaswindow.blogspot.com